Values & Outcomes
Historic macrocarpa. Remnant of farming history.
56 (E2A1) Amenity planting area and riparian area. Thirty year old planting of exotic species including lime tree, European beech and historic macrocarpa with an understorey of natives including mamaku and kawakawa.
11 (E1A1) Small remnant of tawa-hinau-kanuka forest, with surrounding pine trees.
9 (E1A1) Small forest remnant and wetland areas.
Field sports, play.
Other Values and Information?
This is not a Crown Derived Reserve.
Utilities (Important): Sewer, Stormwater.
Utilities (Minor): Water Supply.
Some land subsidence at the rear of 20 Astronomer Place.
1. Manage the reserve as two zones: Active Recreation Zone (A), and Natural Zone (B).
2. Protect reserve-to-reserve, walkway network, and street-to-street connections.
3. Retain liquor ban.
4. Continue to encourage casual recreation enjoyment of the reserve by providing amenity shade and shelter, natural play spaces, and walking opportunities. Ensure that amenity planting at the periphery of the Active Recreation Zone avoids shading the playing field facilities.
Active Recreation Zone (A)
5. Continue to encourage active sports recreation by providing a premier sports facility and associated support infrastructure.
6. Encourage casual community use of the reserve, through enabling community uses of existing buildings, and by retaining easy access pathways, play spaces, parking and amenity open space.
Natural Zone (B)
7. Protect the natural remnant forest, riparian and wetland areas, promoting healthy ecological functioning through animal and plant pest control and natural regeneration. Improve the wetlands as funding opportunities allow, including additional riparian planting where this would enhance erosion reduction, fish spawning habitat, and amenity values. Ensure that land management does not introduce contaminants to the wetland values.
8. Monitor heritage amenity plantings including macrocarpa and retain until vegetation health dictates removal.
9. Actively monitor land subsidence below Astronomer Place.
|Appellation?||Reserve Act Classification|
|Lot 1 DP 59139||Local Purpose Reserve (Community)|
|Lot 4 DP 80699||Local Purpose Reserve (Community)|
|Lot 2 DP 59139||Recreation Reserve|
|Lot 2 DP 70897||Recreation Reserve|
|Lot 3 DP 89109||Recreation Reserve|
|Lot 1 DP 64475||Recreation Reserve|
|Lot 2 DP 60004||Recreation Reserve|
|Lot 3 DP 78761||Recreation Reserve|
Parcel Area (ha)?
Landslide Susceptibility ?
Tsunami Evacuation Zone?
Western Suburbs Clubrooms.