Values & Outcomes
GWRC Key Native Ecosystem.
Rare early flowering Kowhai (Sophora chathamica) is found in this reserve.
46 (E1A1) Kowhai and kanuka dominated forest on coastal escarpment at Papakowhai, together with associated freshwater rautahi wetland and coastal saltmarsh. Habitat to diverse animal species and retains high natural values in spite of high degree of eutrophication. Significant ecosystem services as a sink for nutrients and road contaminants.
Informal recreation and natural play, kickabout areas.
Other Values and Information?
Lot 73 DP 40606 is a Crown Derived Reserve.
Utilities (Critical): Sewer.
Utilities (Important): Stormwater.
Dog Exercise Area.
Landscape values along SH1.
1. Protect the natural coastal forest and saltmarsh values to promote healthy ecological functioning, through animal and plant pest control and natural regeneration. Increase the planted riparian area as opportunities allow, for erosion reduction, fish spawning habitat, and amenity values. Protect hydrological connections.
2. Protect historic kowhai with early flowering characteristics.
3. Continue to encourage casual recreation and children’s play by providing extensive open space and walking opportunities, along with natural play spaces.
4. Protect street-to-street and reserve-to-reserve connections.
5. Retain a dog exercise area.
Parcel Area (ha)?
Landslide Susceptibility ?
Tsunami Evacuation Zone?