Values & Outcomes
JB30, HIDB 84 Prehistoric and historic archaeological sites (terraces, cultivation, midden, and Korohiwa whaling station). A Ngati Ira pa was located at Korohiwa. The whaling station (1830’s-1840s’) is a rare example of a mainland shore whaling station in the Wellington area (NZAA R27/147, Category 2-Register #6162).
Within Landscape Protection Area.
GWRC Key Native Ecosystem.
Regenerating ngaio-mahoe bush within gorse-dominated scrub. Contains stream with native fish.
Walking, horse riding.
Dog Exercise Area.
Access to beach.
Other Values and Information?
Lot 18 DP 20929, Sec 364 Porirua DIST and Sec 374 Porirua DIST are Crown Derived Reserves.
Utilities (Critical): Sewer.
Utilities (Important): Sewer, Stormwater.
Utilities (Minor): Water Supply.
1. Integrate management of Stuart Park and Stuart Park extension, securing Recreation Reserve classification for the extension.
2. Protect and preserve the significant archaeological heritage sites.
3. As the reserve has evidence of pre 1900 human activity, an archaeological authority for any subsurface works will be required from Heritage New Zealand..
4. Safeguard the significant open space landscape values. Restore ecological values and rare plants, by implementing the Titahi Bay Beach Restoration Plan where relevant to Stuart Park.
5. Protect natural values for healthy land and stream ecological functioning, through animal pest and weed control, natural regeneration and restoration planting.
6. Investigate the barriers to fish movements within waterways and options for rehabilitation of the stream mouth to improve fish passage.
7. Retain casual recreation opportunities for walking and landscape appreciation.
8. Continue to provide a Dog Exercise Area, and to allow horse access and horse riding.
Parcel Area (ha)?
Landslide Susceptibility ?
Tsunami Evacuation Zone?