Values & Outcomes
Landscape Protection Area (part of Western Green Belt, between Porirua Scenic Reserve and Rangituhi/Colonial Knob Scenic Reserve).
Regenerating scrub and low forest. Diverse and distinctive with several locally rare plant and animal species.
Walking, mountain biking, sightseeing, views.
On Te Araroa route.
Other Values and Information?
This is not a Crown Derived Reserve.
Utilities – telecommunications.
Utilities (Minor): Stormwater.
Previously named Colonial Knob Parklands.
1. Protect the reserve’s significant natural landscape values, acknowledging its contribution to Porirua’s Western Green Belt.
2. Protect the significant natural heritage values, including developing / ensuring effective stock-proof fencing.
3. Permit grazing as a means to control gorse and weeds, only in the area west of the stockproof fence built in 2013 and outside of any areas of significant vegetation.
4. Enhance natural biodiversity values through weed control and natural regeneration including native planting around wet gullies and artificial ponds.
5. Continue to provide opportunities for walking, mountain biking, and landscape appreciation. Provide further family and adventure recreation opportunities, including events, and develop a ‘destination’ cycling opportunity in the reserve. Allow for the provision of separate downhill mountain biking trails/pathways.
6. Prohibit dogs from the reserve.
7. Enable connections between the reserve and Porirua Scenic Reserve, Spicer Botanical Park, Rangituhi/Colonial Knob Scenic Reserve and Te Araroa.
8. Allow controlled use of the reserve for telecommunication utilities where appropriate.
9. Implement the Porirua Outdoor Recreation Park Development Plan.
10. Consider commercial development/service provision as a potentially appropriate means of supporting/implementing the outcomes sought for this reserve,provided that the development does not affect the natural and recreational values of the reserve.
Parcel Area (ha)?
Landslide Susceptibility ?
Tsunami Evacuation Zone?
Cellphone towers with access agreement: Woosh Wireless, Two Degrees Mobile, The Radio Network.
Right of Way agreement with utility operators.
DOC pathway access agreement.